Buying past service
Learn about buying service if you worked for an employer before they joined the pension plan.
Process for past service
You will need to complete a form and send it to your employer. Your employer will then complete its portion and submit the form to the plan.
Note: If you have questions about how to complete your part of the form, talk to your employer. They can help you fill it out correctly.
Here are the steps:
- Open and save the Purchase of service application form.
- Complete Part A online.
- Send the completed form to your employer. Your employer will complete Part B and submit the form to the plan.
- Your employer may request additional documents to complete your application (e.g., pay stubs or a letter of hire)
- If you only want to buy a portion of the past service period, please indicate the period of time you want to buy (or the amount of money you want to spend) on the application form
Once we receive the completed application, we will send you a statement letting you know:
- The cost to buy service
- How buying service will affect your pension
If you decide to buy the past service, you must submit your payment within 90 days of receiving the statement of cost. If you miss this deadline, you may submit a new application.