Tax information for retired members

Your pension is taxable income. We will deduct federal and provincial income tax from your monthly pension payment.

Income splitting and your pension

You may be able to reduce the total tax you pay by transferring part of your pension income to your spouse or common-law partner.

This process, known as income splitting, allows individuals to allocate a portion of their income to a spouse who has lower earnings. This may create tax savings for couples.

Contact CRA for more details. You may also want to speak with a financial adviser or accountant to find out if transferring part of your pension income is to your advantage.

The plan recently announced changes, effective October 1, 2019, that will result in a past service pension adjustment for you if you have service between April 1, 2006 and March 31, 2018. For more information, see the Board Communique: March 16, 2018.

IMPORTANT plan changes:

Board Communique: March 16, 2018

External link for tax information for retired members

Learn more about pension income splitting on the Canada Revenue Agency website.