Buying non-contributory service
Learn about buying service for a period when your employer participated in the pension plan but you weren’t enrolled.
Cost for non-contributory service
The cost to buy non-contributory service is based on:
- The number of months of service you are eligible to buy
- Your current full-time gross monthly salary (or full-time equivalent, if you work part time)
- The current employee and employer contribution rates
Sign in to My Account and use the purchase cost estimator to get an estimate of the cost.
Your employer will pay its share of the total cost if both of these conditions are met:
- An employee–employer relationship existed during the period when you were not contributing to the plan
- You did not receive compensation instead of contributing to a registered pension plan
In all other cases, you are responsible for paying the entire cost.