Pensions and marital breakdowns: information for lawyers

Lawyers are often asked to advise clients about dividing a pension benefit between a plan member and a former spouse. Learn more about the information and documents we need to administer a pension following a relationship breakdown.

Review of documents  

Once all documents have been completed and submitted to the plan, the former spouse will be notified that they are a limited member of BC's Public Service Pension Plan. As a limited member, they are entitled to a pension benefit.

If the plan administrator is not able to administer the pension division or requires clarification, a letter will be sent seeking clarification or stating the sections of the separation agreement or court order that could not be administered.