Buying service for a leave

Learn about your options for buying service during or after a leave of absence.

Process: continuous contributions

If your leave falls under the Employment Standards Act (ESA), you can choose to make continuous contributions during your leave. ESA includes shared-cost leaves.

To apply to make continuous contributions, you will need to complete a form and submit it to your employer.

Here are the steps:

  1. Open and save the Purchase of Service Application form.
  2. Complete part A online. Make sure to select "Continuous contributions" in the section "How would you like to pay for your purchase?"
  3. Send the completed form to your employer.

Your employer will verify the leave, provide other details and send the form to the plan.

If you have questions about how to complete your part of the form, talk to your employer, who can help you fill it out correctly.

Once we receive the completed application, the plan will mail you a statement about once a month showing:

  • The amount owing for that month
  • The payment due date
  • Options for payment

It will be your responsibility to submit your contribution to BC Pension Corporation each month; your employer cannot do this for you. You will have 30 days to make your payment for each statement.

Each time you pay the monthly cost, the plan will add the service to your record throughout the duration of your leave.

External link to employment standards

Government of B.C. Employment Standards