Submit a form to waive your pre-retirement death (survivor) benefit

Send us a form that allows you, as the spouse of a plan member, to give up your right to receive a pension benefit should your spouse die before retiring.

Submit a form to give up your right to a pre-retirement death benefit

  1. Print Form 4 Spouse’s waiver of beneficiary right to benefits in a pension plan, locked-in retirement account, life income fund or annuity before pension or annuity payments start
  2. Complete the form in the presence of a witness; your spouse (the plan member) must not be present when you complete the form
  3. Initial the first box in the waiver section to give up your right to receive your spouse's pension benefit should your spouse die before starting a pension
  4. Have your witness sign the form
  5. Mail the form to BC's Public Service Pension Plan


Only complete this form if your spouse (the plan member) has not yet started receiving their pension.

If your spouse is retiring and applying for their pension, and you want to waive your right to a death benefit, you must complete Form 2 Spouse’s waiver of 60% lifetime survivor’s benefit and/or beneficiary rights from a pension plan or annuity after payments start. Form 2 allows you to give up your right to a minimum 60 per cent lifetime death benefit or a guaranteed monthly pension.

Required information
  • The name, address and provincial registration number of the plan:
    Public Service Pension Plan
    P.O. Box 9460
    Victoria, BC V8W 9V8
    Provincial registration number: P085496
  • A witness to sign the form