COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.

Tell us if your spouse dies

If you are a plan member and your spouse dies, contact us so we can guide you through the actions you might need to take regarding your pension.

The death of a loved one is a difficult time, with many details to take care of and decisions to make. If your spouse dies, contact us so we can let you know of any decisions you need to make about your pension benefit.

Who to contact

If your spouse dies before you retire, contact your employer and BC's Public Service Pension Plan.

If your spouse dies after you've retired, contact the plan.

Send us a copy of the death certificate

You will need to send us a copy of your spouse’s death certificate.

Update your beneficiary information

Your spouse was automatically your beneficiary unless they gave up this right by signing a waiver. If your spouse did not give up this right and you also named an alternate beneficiary, when you die, the alternate beneficiary will receive your pension benefit.

If you have not yet retired, you can name a new beneficiary by doing one of the following:

  • Signing in to My Account to make your change immediately
  • Submitting the Nomination of beneficiary (pre-retirement) form to the plan

If you have retired, your ability to name a new beneficiary may be restricted, depending on the pension option you chose when you applied for your pension. You can find this information on your semi-annual statement. If you are able to name a new beneficiary, you can do so by sending us the Change of beneficiary (for retired member) form.

If you are eligible for benefits such as a death benefit or group life insurance, you can change the beneficiary for these benefits (if you do not, it will default to your estate).

Cancel health coverage for your spouse

If your spouse received extended health care and/or dental coverage through the plan as a retired member, we will adjust your coverage and refund any premiums, if applicable.

Learn about potential death benefits from other agencies

Inform Service Canada of your spouse’s death. It can answer your questions about the Canada Pension Plan, old age security and related programs.


External link for when a member or spouse dies

Contact Service Canada