What types of leave you can buy

Learn about the types of leave you can buy to potentially increase your future pension.

You may be able to increase your future pension by buying service for the time you took off work during a leave of absence.

A leave of absence is an employer-approved absence from work. It can include general and shared-cost leaves under the Employment Standards Act.

If you take an unpaid or partially paid leave, you can buy service for the time you were not contributing to BC's Public Service Pension Plan to increase your pensionable service. For pension purposes, a leave with full pay is treated as if you were not on leave because both you and your employer are still contributing to the plan.

You may be able to buy service for approved leaves of absence, including but not limited to the following:

  • Maternity
  • Parental
  • Adoption
  • Family responsibility
  • General
  • Bereavement
  • Compassionate care
  • Jury duty
  • Disappearance of child
  • Death of child
  • Critical illness or injury leave
  • Leave respecting domestic or sexual violence

Only the birth mother can buy service for maternity leaves. Either the birth mother or father can buy service for parental leaves. Either adoptive parent can buy service for adoption leaves.

If you decide not to return to work after a leave and want to buy service, you must apply while still on leave.


Related content for types of leave you can buy

Disability and your pension