Pensions and marital breakdowns: information for lawyers

Lawyers are often asked to advise clients about dividing a pension benefit between a plan member and a former spouse. Learn more about the information and documents we need to administer a pension following a relationship breakdown.

Submit proof-of-age documents

BC's Public Service Pension Plan requires copies of proof-of-age documentation from both the plan member and the former spouse. We recommend that this documentation be submitted along with the complete signed separation agreement or registered court order.

If your client and their spouse do not submit proof-of-age documentation, we will not be able to finalize payment of the pension benefit.

Acceptable proof-of-age documentation includes a clear copy of one of the following:

  • Birth certificate
  • Current passport
  • Canadian citizenship or immigration papers
  • Current driver’s license or BC Services Card (BC Identification Card)
  • Certificate of Indian Status Card
  • Marriage certificate (if the date of birth is recorded on the document)
  • Permanent Resident Card (past or current)
  • Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad

If the member or former spouse has changed their name and none of the proof-of-age documentation received reflects the change, we require all legal name-change documents or marriage certificates to confirm the name change.