Separation and divorce checklist

When your marriage or common-law relationship ends, you and your former spouse need to complete some tasks regarding your pension. Use this checklist to make sure you have everything covered.

After a separation or divorce, you and your former spouse have many things to think about, including how your pension will be affected. Your pension is considered a type of family property, like a house or car, so your former spouse may be entitled to a portion of it.

Here is a checklist of the main actions you need to take to divide your pension after a separation or divorce:

□ Submit a Release of information authorization form to allow us to share information about your pension with others, such as a lawyer

□ Your former spouse can submit a Form P1 Claim and request for information and notice to make a claim to their share of your pension (this form also gives us permission to send your former spouse information about your pension)

□ Send us a document to tell us how we should divide the pension between you and your former spouse (this document can be your complete separation agreement, registered court order or Form P9 Agreement to have benefits divided under part 6)

□ If your former spouse wants to receive their share of your pension directly from BC's Public Service Pension Plan, they must apply to become a limited member   of the plan; this involves submitting a form and paying an administration fee

□ Tell us if the name or address of you or your former spouse changed after the separation or divorce

□ Submit proof-of-age documents

We recommend that you and your former spouse get independent legal advice about your individual rights when dividing a pension. The Public Service Pension Plan cannot provide advice on this topic.