COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we are not accepting paper documents at this time. Please send all forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account or need assistance, please contact us.

Pensions and marital breakdowns: information for lawyers

Lawyers are often asked to advise clients about dividing a pension benefit between a plan member and a former spouse. Learn more about the information and documents we need to administer a pension following a relationship breakdown.

Review of documents  

Once all documents have been completed and submitted to the plan, the former spouse will be notified that they are a limited member of BC's Public Service Pension Plan. As a limited member, they are entitled to a pension benefit.

If the plan administrator is not able to administer the pension division or requires clarification, a letter will be sent seeking clarification or stating the sections of the separation agreement or court order that could not be administered.