COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we are not accepting paper documents at this time. Please send all forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account or need assistance, please contact us.

How to appeal a decision about your pension

Learn how to submit an appeal if you disagree with how the plan rules have been applied.

How does the appeals process work?

You must contact the appeals registrar:

Appeals Registrar
Pension Board Secretariat
PO Box 9460
Victoria BC V8W 9V8
Phone: 250-387-8200 (Victoria)
Fax: 250-387-4199

Step 1

Write to the appeals registrar, stating your concerns and desired outcome. Include a copy of the director’s written confirmation of the decision you are appealing and any other related documents you have.

The appeals registrar will acknowledge your correspondence and send it to the corporation to review and provide an appeal report. This report is prepared by corporation staff who were not involved in your file or the administrative review. The report includes all relevant information from your file, a chronology of the facts involved and an assessment of how the plan rules were applied. The appeals registrar will send you the report within 30 days.

If you wish to continue your appeal after reading the appeal report, go to Step 2.

Step 2

Within 30 days of receiving the appeal report, send a Notice of appeal – step 2 form (included with the appeal report) or write to the appeals registrar, enclosing any additional material you consider relevant to your appeal.

This step allows you and the corporation to review all information relevant to your concern and make further submissions to ensure the board receives all the information it needs to make a decision.

If this exchange of information does not lead to a resolution, the appeals registrar will submit the appeal to the board for review at its next regularly scheduled quarterly meeting. The board will issue its decision in writing within 15 days of the board meeting.

What if I disagree with the board’s ruling?

You may seek a remedy through other agencies, such as the Office of the Ombudsperson or the courts.


Related documents for appealing a decision

Appeals process

Related content for appealing a decision

Plan rules

Contact the plan board